Working method to fix the error on your Android and iPhone as well.
Have you ever encountered the error saying invalid sim card or no SIM card inserted on your phone? This could be caused by several reasons including corrupt sim card, sim card has been deactivated, sim card not properly inserted and many others. Whatsoever the reason is the situation is quite frustrating when you suddenly find that you are having no reception on your phone and getting the error invalid sim card. We are here to explore the possible reasons to get the invalid sim card error on your phone and some working methods to fix the error.
- Mobile Data Not Working? Try These Steps to Fix it
- Resolving Not Registered on Network Error on Android
- Fixing SIM Not Provisioned MM#2 Error
- Mobile Data Not Working? Try These Steps to Fix it
- How to fix “Mobile network not available” error on android
- Verizon No Network Connection Error | How to Fix?
- Verizon LTE not working? Easy Ways to Fix
What is invalid SIM card Error
The invalid sim card usually pop-ups when there is no proper connection between your Sim Card and sim card slot on your phone. However, this error can also appear when your sim has been deactivated or not yet activated in case of a new sim card.
You may also notice the error with other identical messages like Invalid SIM card – Network locked SIM card inserted”, “Activation not completed: Select to retry activation process – Invalid SIM card“, “Invalid SIM card inserted – The SIM card is not supported“, “No SIM card – Insert SIM card” or “SIM card not detected”.
The error messages might be quite different from each other but they are all caused by the same error. So without further due let’s dig into the answer and find a solution to fix the invalid sim card error on a smartphone.
Why Causes the Phone to Say Invalid SIM card?
The invalid sim card error might be caused by several errors few of them are;
- The SIM card is not yet activated by the carrier provider.
- The connector in the phone sim card slot is damaged.
- Sim card cheap is damaged itself.
- Poor or no network reception.
- Sim card got deactivated by the carrier provider.
- A software bug can also be a reason to show invalid sim card errors.
Fix Invalid SIM Card Error on Android and iPhone
- Force Restart the Phone
- Toggle Airplane Mode On/Off
- Select Proper Network Mode
- Remove and Re-insert the SIM Card
- Check SIM Card Tray for Damage
- Select Manual Network Mode
- Contact Your Device Carrier
- Buy a New SIM Card
- Boot the Phone in Safe Mode
- Factory Reset the Phone
There is not a certain reason causing your phone to show the invalid sim card error or no sim card installed message. There is not a certain method to fix the error but here are the series of possible solutions to fix the invalid sim card error you need to apply and see which one works for you.
Force Restart the Phone
Sometimes a force restart can easily fix the invalid sim card error on your phone. If you are getting the error after normal restart it is a state to force restart your device and see if the error is gone.
Force Restart iPhone
Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
Force Restart Android
Press and hold the power button until you feel a vibration. When the Android logo appears, release the power buttons.
Force restarting your smartphone not only fixes the common software Glitch but also forces the hardware to be re-registered.
This includes forcing the sim card Re-registering on a network for proper reception.
Toggle Airplane Mode On/Off
The congestion in-network and reception can also cause your phone to show no SIM card inserted error. To resolve the problem using this method all you need is to swipe down the notification bar and turn on airplane mode.
Wait for 30 seconds and turn it off again. See if the phone showing the network.
Select Proper Network Mode
All the modern smartphones come with dual network mode. In the case of VoLTE sim card, the phone was simply not registered when you have selected the network mode to LTE or 2G and hence showing no SIM card inserted error.
In order to resolve the error using the method, you are required to go to settings -> connections-> select network mode -> LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect).
Restart the phone and see if the same is properly registered on the network.
Remove and Re-insert the SIM Card
A faulty connection between the SIM card chip and connector on the device can also lead to an invalid sim card or no SIM card inserted error.
To solve the problem simply turn off your phone, remove the SIM card and Reinsert it properly into the SIM slot. Also, make sure to wipe the SIM card chip with an alcohol-based cleaner.
Check SIM Card Tray for Damage
The invalid sim card error can also be caused by a damaged sim card tray. A damaged sim card tray make keep the SIM card chip from connecting properly with the same connector on the phone.
It is required to examine your phone sim card tray for any possible damage or bending. You can also verify 8 by inserting your sim card into another device.
Select Manual Network Mode
Smartphones are configured to register on the network automatically. This means every time a SIM card is inserted into the phone, the device will automatically try to registered for available network.
But in case of invalid sim card error selecting a network manually can help you to resolve the error.
Select Network Manually on iPhone
- Go to the Start screen.
- Choose Settings.
- Scroll down.
- Choose Mobile Data.
- Choose Network Selection.
- Disable Automatic.
- The Apple iPhone is now searching for available networks.
- Choose the available network.
Select Network Manually on Android
- From the front screen, tap Apps.
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Mobile Networks (if your device is running Android Lollipop, you will need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
- Choose Network Operators.
- Choose the Network you would like to connect to.
Contact Your Device Carrier
If you are using a SIM card from T mobile or Verizon with your UICC locked, you might need to contact your device Carrier and ask if the SIM card is yet active or has been deactivated by their end.
Buy a New SIM Card
If all the methods explained above do not seem to work for you and you are still getting the same invalid SIM card error, it’s time to purchase a new SIM card and insert it into your phone.
If the new SIM card is detected and there is proper reception then the old SIM card is completely dead either by physical damage or software corruption.
Boot the Phone in Safe Mode
Booting the phone in safe mode can also be a lifesaver if you are getting an invalid sim card error caused by some third-party app. Safe Mode allows your phone to run as normal but restricts third-party apps or services from being used.
If you put your phone in Safe Mode and no longer experience the issue(s), you’ve determined that the problem is not in your phone’s operating system.
Instead, it’s likely from an app that’s been downloaded onto your device.
Activate Safe Mode on iPhone
- To activate Safe Mode on iPhone, hold the power key until the Power off icon appears.
- Press and hold the Power off icon until the Safe Mode prompt appears.
- Select Safe Mode to confirm.
- Once your device has powered on, you should see the words “Safe Mode” in the lower right/left corner of your screen.
Activate Safe Mode on Android
- Press and hold the power button until power options appear.
- Tap and hold Power Off.
- Hold until you see Reboot to safe mode and then tap on the prompt.
- Once your device has powered on, you should see the words “Safe Mode“ in the lower right/left corner of your screen.
Factory Reset the Phone
If all the methods explained above failed to fix the invalid sim card error on your phone it is the time to factory reset the device.
But before you attempt a factory reset on iPhone or Android let me warn you that factory resetting the phone will erase all the data on the device including images, contacts and messages.
Before you attempt a factory reset on your device it is suggested to backup your phone locally or on cloud storage. Follow the steps below to attempt a factory reset on your device;
Factory Reset the iPhone
- In “Settings,” scroll down and tap “General.”
- At the bottom of the “General” page, tap “Reset.”
- To factory reset your iPhone, select “Erase All Content and Settings.“
- You’ll be prompted to enter your passcode, then your device will ask you to confirm that you want to erase everything.
- Tap “Erase” to confirm.
- This could take a few minutes, depending on how much you have stored on your iPhone, but once the deletion is completed, your device will restart as new.
Factory Reset the Android
- Open Android Settings
- Tap General Management.
- Tap Reset.
- Tap Factory data reset.
- Tap RESET.
- Tap DELETE ALL. Please be patient as phone resetting takes some time.
Frequently Asked Questions
why does my phone say no SIM?
The no SIM card inserted or invalid sim card error can be caused by several reasons including software and hardware errors. To resolve the error simply remove the SIM card from the slot and wipe the SIM card chip with a mild alcohol-based solution using a soft cotton cloth. However, the error also might appear if the SIM card is not activated or was deactivated by the carrier provider itself due to some error including bill payment in case of postpaid connection.
Do SIM cards expire if not used?
Once the SIM card is activated by the career provider is there is a certain period of time you are required to use it for making calls sending text or internet credit. The card may expire if kept idle for a long period. This expiration period is decided by the carrier provider and may differ from one to another.
Getting the invalid sim card error or no SIM card inserted on your phone may be caused by several reasons including hardware and software errors as well. And most cases a damaged sim card cheap can also lead to an error. You can apply the methods explained here to fix the error on your phone. The solutions listed in the article works for both Android and iPhone to fix the invalid sim card error. If you still find it difficult to resolve the error it is suggested to go for a physical examination of your phone at the nearest service store.