Google subscriber number is a free method to get a working phone number to make and receive a call, send messages and manage voicemail like any other phone number without buying a new SIM or mobile phone. You can always get a valid phone number using a google voice service.
The number allocated to a Google voice user is known as the Google subscriber number.
But, what is Google Subscriber Number? How to get a Google number and why do some calls you receive on your phone return a response saying “google voice subscriber is not available” when called back. Let’s find all about the Google Subscriber number.
What is Google Subscriber?
You probably would have used Google services like Google Hangout or Google voice to make calls. Google Voice is one of the calling features for users where users can generate a calling number to use it as a real number.
This number allocated by the Google voice to the registered users to make and receive calls is called a Google Subscriber Number. And the person who owns this number is called Google subscriber.
Google Voice is a service by Google itself that let’s you generate a free phone number to make calls, send messages and manage voicemail like any standard phone number. The service is completely free and any open with a valid Gmail account can avail a free Google subscriber number.
When one of your contacts leaves you a voicemail, Google will translate it to text and email you the contents. The number is what people refer to as the Google subscriber number.
How does Google Subscriber number work?
A Google subscriber number can be used like any standard phone number. a Google subscriber can use this number to make calls, send texts and perform any other call-related task like any other phone number.
A Google subscriber number allows you to:
- Make national and Internation calls.
- Send text from mobile and PC.
- Read, access and manage Voicemails like standard emails.
- Set personalized messages for voicemail greetings.
- Works as a SIP phone for making VoIP calls.
- Protects you from Spam calls.
How do I get a Google subscriber number?
Anyone with a valid Gmail account can get a free Google subscriber number to link their number to Google’s Voice number. Follow the steps below to register and avail a subscriber number from Google.
To Get a Google Subscriber number:
- Go to Voice.Google.com
- Sign in by entering the existing Google account ID and Password you want to use.
- Click Continue.
- Search for the Area code or city to generate a number.
- Select the number you want as a Google Subscriber number.
- Now follow the instructions to finish the setup by linking the number you another number.
Why Do I need Google Subscriber Number?
Registering a Google voice number can help you make outgoing calls without bothering about any incoming calls and hence protecting you from scam callers. Like any other technology, Google number has its own pros and cons.
Here are some Pros and cons of having a Virtual Google Subscriber Number.
- You can place unlimited calls to any national or international numbers for product promotions and service offers.
- A Google subscribe number is useful for small businesses where it is not possible to spend on expensive SIP phones.
- Manage all Voicemail in text format via Email.
- Set custom greeting messages for the caller.
- Protection from any incoming calls and block the spammers.
- Don’t need a cellular network to make calls.
- Make outgoing calls without revealing your real number.
- Obtain a number for any remote location worldwide(Eg: a U.S. citizen can get a number for U.K. and Canada)
- Optimum for small business and tell marketing.
- Prone to spam attack as the number can easily be hijacked and the imposter can use it to call or scam someone on your behalf without revealing any identity.
- Requires a real phone number to get a Google subscriber number as Google uses this number to send verification codes to connect the number.
- Limited numbers of free calls. Requires to purchase the credits to make calls.
How to find my Google Voice number?
Google Voice allows you to choose the desired number to use as a Google Subscriber number. You can always see the number listed under the Google voice account dashboard.
To find your Google voice number
- Go to voice.google.com
- Login in using the Google account associated with the Google voice account.
- You can find your 10-digit Google Voice number listed in the upper right corner of the dashboard.
What is the Google subscriber number scam?
Google subscriber number scam, as the term explained itself is used to scam people by forging the number to hijacking the existing Google voice number.
As you know getting a Goggle subscriber number is quite easy and hence it also leads to the abuse of it. Scammers and importers are well known for using the number to con people for scams and fauld purposes.
You might get a call randomly on your phone for the winning prize and imposed to share the personal details with them. These calls are identified as Google subscriber number scam.
Also, it is quite easy to hijack an existing number of google subscribers, this can help them to use your repot for personal interest.
Google subscriber number scam is a fraudulent activity that happens when a scammer hijacks your phone number and uses it to create a Google Voice account under your name.
How to protect yourself from Google subscriber scam
It is always a better idea to be aware and stay safe from these Google Subscbirber number scams. However, it is next to impossible to identify a scam call but here are few tips you should keep in your mind to avoid a Google subscriber fraud or scam.
Tip to protect yourself from Google subscriber scam:
1. Keep your Verification code secret:
The fraudulent scammer uses a trick to obtain your verification code. They will send you a link with 6-digit number in order to reveal your verification code.
Once they have your Google voice account verification code, they can now use your Google number to conduct their unlawful activities by scamming other people in your name and remain discrete.
It’s suggested to stay out of any spammy or suspicious-looking links in order to protect yourself from a Google subscriber scam.
2. Block Suspicious Calls:
This method includes blocking the suspected and unwanted calls using the Google Voice account to protect yourself from a scam. Here is how you can use Google voice account to block a call.
- Go to voice.google.com on a PC.
- Go to your voicemail or call log to locate the number.
- Click on the number you want to block.
- Click on the three dots to the right of the number.
- Choose Block Number.
- Click Confirm.
This will block the number and you will no longer get any message or calls for the blocked number.
Turn on screen calling:
Turning on the Screen calling on Google voice dashboard can also help you to save yourself from a Google Subscriber scam. Follow the steps to turn on screen calling;
- Go to voice.google.com.
- Click Settings.
- Click Calls.
- Turn on Screen Calls.
The call screening allows you to listen to the messages sent by a scammer and decide whether you want to talk with them once you have verified their identity and intent.
Report the caller:
Google is super active in taking fast actions to make the platform secure. Once you suspect any suspicious calls or activity you can simply reach google and report the caller.
But, You cannot do it directly to Google if you want to report a Google subscriber number. you can file a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center if the person has created a Gmail address to impersonate your identity.
Also, make sure to delete the Google Voice account if you are not using it anymore, This will ensure the safety of illegal usages of your number.
How to trace a Google subscriber number?
Tracing back a Google subscribe number is alwaysys easy, you can use reverse phone lookup services to search fo the number. You can also use online directors like AnyWho and Whitepages.
To trace a Google subscriber number use any of above mentioned online directories and search by entering the number you want to search for.
The directory will display all the possible details about the number entered available online.
However, there is no guarantee it will work 100% because Google assigns random numbers to its subscribers.
Why does my phone say Google subscriber when I call?
The Google Subscriber number acts like a regular phone number. The greeting you listen to while calling on some specific number is actually a voicemail greeting from the google voice number.
When you call a number and it says the Google subscriber is not available?
The “Google subscriber is not available” message is simply the default Google Voice voicemail greeting. That’s normal, until you record your own greeting.
How much does it cost to be a Google subscriber?
You can get a free Google subscriber number by simply registering your account at voice.google.com. But, in order to make outgoing calls, you need to purchase the calling credits.
Google Subscriber number is a free virtual phone number you can get by creating a account on Google voice. A Google subscriber number can be used like any standard phone number. a Google subscriber can use this number to make calls, send texts and perform any other call-related task like any other phone number. But, it has it’s own pors and cons you can read here.